Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mmmm....Cow Tongue! Honduras Day 3

Today was the big day to try the cow tongue.

We started out at the Milk Project with some of the ladies cooking Spaghetti and making fruit salad for the kids that would come that afternoon. Another group started bagging more of the dried beans, rice and corn for our food distribution that afternoon and Albert and I made a run with Laurie to the Honduras Home Depot to get some supplies to do a few punch list items around the Milk Project building. I learned that no matter what country I am in the hardware store is mans heaven. After beating my chest and letting out a few grunts we were off to get the needed supplies.

After we had our supplies we headed back to Dirt Mountain just in time for lunch. We were visited by Pastor Jorge who feasted with us on carne asada, rice, beans, queso and the COW TONGUE. So, the cow tongue was not bad. My only problem was I could not get the picture of the RAW tongue out of my head as I was eating it, but everything went down and stayed down.

Afer lunch we headed out to start distributing bags of food and pray for some of the folks on Dirt Mountain. We decided that we would send part of the team out first and then swap so everyone had a turn. Amanada, Linda and I along with Laurie and Pastor Jorge set out to deliver the first few bags. This was nothing new for me going into very poor homes and seeing harsh living conditions, but for some reason today was hiting me a bit harder, but not in a good way. I remember riding back to the Milk Project after delivering our last bag and thinking to myself ¨everything here is crap.¨ Just as I am having these very honest and negative thoughts I hear Pastor Jorge speak very excited and Laurie turns to me, he said, ¨Look at our new apartments, our little city is growing well.¨ Bam, blow to the heart! I see crap and he see´s hope. Amongst all the bad he focuses on the good and rejoice´s and celbrates that. My next thought, ¨I am such a loser!¨

So, we return and drop off Linda and Amanda to pick up Becki, Sawn, Albert, Ericka, and Linda aka LULU. We delivered eight more bags, but this time I decided to join God and seek his heart for the people we encountered. Wow...what a novel idea! This trip I had the opportunity to be the one praying for some of the families, since Pastor Jorge handled all the others it was my turn to take the reigns. Even though I was working through some baggage God showed up and gave me words of encouragment to speak to the different familes. One thing that struck me this go around is every family we encountered, even with all the struggles, faithfully trusted God and knew he had their backs. I learned alot today about myslef, like I still have some junk that needs to be worked out and unless I let God have a part in that I may only see CRAP!

Tomorrow the Ladies are headed to help out at a local school and Albert and I are heade two hours away to visit some water projects.

Buenos Noches!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Most days I see crap too. The human kind, the doggie kind, all kinds in the street. And the other soul damaging type. But then.... God breathes. A word. Hope.

Rich said...

So true Laurie. I just wish I was quicker to see the hope sometimes.

Yeah, I stepped in the doggie kind!

sfiles said...

Thanks for exposing yourself Shawn so I could see me!

MiChE said...

awesome blog.

Smooches Gooches said...

Here's to Adios 'crap' y Hola 'hope'!

brian jeansonne said...

keep 'em coming bro. love reading the updates. cow tongue....not so much