Sunday, March 6, 2011

Are we there yet? (Honduras Day 1)

I along with seven others from The Vineyard Church started our journey to Honduras today. We met at the airport at 5:00AM and landed in Tegucigalpa around 12:15PM. I love the flight into Tegucigalpa’s airport which is ranked as one of top ten most dangerous in the world, due to its short runway that’s surrounded by LOTS of mountains. After a lot of banking and turning we finally landed on the runway safely.
Honestly, leading up to this trip I was not feeling it. Mentally I just was not focused and could not get my head in the right place. But, when we landed our driver Aldrin who was also our driver in September, was at the airport to meet us. And as we shook hands he wrapped is arm around me and said welcome back “Hermano”. What a great greeting, “Welcome back, brother!”
In this moment I realized this was not just another routine trip, but an opportunity to reconnect with our friends and family here in Honduras and even make new connections as we did tonight. After landing we settled into our hotel and then took a mini tour around town to see the layout and get a feel for the city. Afterwards, we had dinner with a pastor who just planted a new Iglesia La Vina (Vineyard Church) here in Tegucigalpa. It was exciting to here Pastor Guillermo’s passion for the Vineyard Movement and the people of Tegucigalpa. I am always amazed by pastor’s who face so many challenges; yet continue to advance the Kingdom despite all the obstacles. After dinner we asked Pastor Guillermo and his family to joins us for a time of prayer and worship as we prepared for the week. Now it is time to get some rest and get ready for tomorrow.
Tomorrow we are going to work at the Milk Project with Laurie Matherne and prepare lunch for 100 kids along with some activities like face painting, crafts, jump rope, futbol (soccer) and other games. Along with this we are going to prepare bags of beans, rice, and corn flour that we will distribute Tuesday to some families that live on Dirt Mount.
I am looking forward to tomorrow and all that God has in store for us until then Buenos Noches!

P.S. Check out this clip of a Tegucigalpa landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJoXMcehrYo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If your plane had crashed, chances are you would have been near the milk project, as many planes fly right overhead that dusty mountain before landing.