This past Monday Ana went for a jog in the neighborhood where we live. Upon her return she said “Honey, guess what?” “Some people around the corner are throwing away a bench. Let’s go get it and fix it up”. So with very little enthusiasm I jumped in my truck and scooped up the bench.
Talk about trash. The wrought iron was rusted, the boards were 10 shades of grey, and I had to use a hammer and crow bar to break the bolts off because there was not enough WD40 in the world to get the nuts loose. (I have to admit knocking the snot out of the bolts was a little fun but don’t tell Ana)
So after dismantling this thing I finally made a list of supplies and headed off to the hardware store because what the heck it was a beautiful day and this would be a nice little project. So, 4o minutes and $60 later I had everything we needed.
Some………..
New bolts
Sandpaper
Steel wool
Black paint
Wood stain w/ Polyurethane added of course
A paint brush
And some plastic gloves. You know the kind you like to snap on your wrist like you’re a doctor and then look at people funny like you’re about to give them an “Examination”. Well you get the point!
So with great care we sanded all the iron and repainted it. We sanded the wood planks to remove the weathered wood and stained them and then once everything dried we put the bench back together and placed it strategically by our front door with some plants and admired our great work. I mean we saved this thing from the dump and brought it back to life.
What once was nothing had purpose again.
A few days later I was sitting on our RENEWED bench and started thinking about how God had done this very thing with my life. Not too long ago I was set out by the curb. Due to things that happened in my life I was worn and weathered. But, God scooped me up and RENEWED me. Over time God has sanded of the worn and weathered wood and has restored me to a place where I have purpose. A place where God has captured my heart. A place where God has captured my heart so fully that I have become passionate about the people and things he cares passionately about.
I have heard a number of times that Jesus Christ came to reclaim, renew, and restore. But, this past Monday opened my eyes to what that looks like and allowed me to reflect on how God is doing this in my life.
I know the process is not done because just like this bench that will weather again from sitting in the sun, I too will get worn and weathered but God will continue to remove the worn layers to restore me to the person I have been called to be.
1 comment:
This is such a great blog. I love how God spoke to you threw the restoring that old bench. I really had a great time working on that bench.
Post a Comment